[Tagging] simple 3D buildings, proposed redefinition of building:levels and building:min_level for building:part

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 22:26:17 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 9 Mar 2017, at 19:39, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>
> I believe you are mistaken here.

you are of course right. (It would have worked for all cases I had in mind/mapped so far, but it won't work in general).

Insisting on the original definition isn't likely an option, is it? Thing is, the "new"(2012) version does not work at all in some cases. Imagine a building split in half, in the backside there are 4 residential floors, in the front there are 3 office floors (offices ~4m, housing ~3m). On top of both there's another 3 residential floors, these could be tagged:

building:part=apartments
min_height=12
but you can't indicate the number of levels with building:levels
for simple 3D rendering it would be sufficient to indicate the height but the levels are also interesting in itself)

"virtual" building levels, which appear in the current building:levels definition, don't exist. You cannot count them, they are not verifiable. We should not model like this.

Cheers,
Martin