[Tagging] Orientation of an adit?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Mar 10 13:48:12 UTC 2017

There are a number of abandoned adits and mine shafts in an area I’ve done some mapping in. When looking at old USGS topographic maps of the area, I’ve noticed that they used to align their symbol for an adit to show its orientation.

I’d like to duplicate that rendering on the topographic maps I make, but adits [1] are single points in the OSM data model without a bearing or orientation tag so there is no information to drive the rendering.

There does not seem to be much in the wiki [2], [3] or taginfo [4] for applying a bearing or orientation to a point.

My inclination, at present, is to use either:

bearing=*
or
adit:bearing=*

Where the value would be in degrees clockwise from north, though I doubt that more accuracy is needed than just compass points.

Comments? Suggestions?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dadit
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Tag_mappings
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Sectored_and_Directional_Lights