[Tagging] Improve toilet tagging

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:23:18 UTC 2017

On 11-Mar-17 08:51 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03/10/2017 09:43 PM, Micah Cochran wrote:
>> #2. Single-stall versus Multi-stall tagging
> There's also those male toilets with a discrete number of urinals and
> those where you have basically one wall-wide urinal used by as many
> people as manage to cram in ;)

There are also discrete urinals with modesty walls to either side.

There are also toilets with urinal/s only (these were termed pissoir).

>> #3. A way to tag the toilets male/female/unisex within an establishment.
> Until SotM Brussels I always assumed that an un-gendered amenity=toilets
> would automatically mean there'll be separate facilites for men an
> women, and only when accompanied with gender tags would it be limited to
> a specific sex. In Brussels there was a talk by a woman from India who -
> if I remember correctly - said that she'd usually not consider to even
> visit a toilet that was not explicitly marked as having capacity for
> women because the "default" over there seems to be it's for men. Which
> brings a whole new urgency to gender tagging.

Unisex toilets exist in Japan, open to both sexes.
Some have male urinals alongside the wash basins, there, if you want privacy, you would have to use a stall (enclosed single toilet).

>> #1. toilets: namespace
>> There could be a default toilets: namespace for when tagged within a
>> place/establishment.    This would allow for tagging a richer level of
>> toilet information.
> I'm wary of tagging too many business details. I fear a toilets
> namespace would lead to people adding all sorts of observations about
> toilets that they used in some shop or other and that might at best be
> access=customers if not access=private. I think this would be going too
> far, it's almost as if we were to start taggin how wide the isles in a
> shop were or how many checkout desks or if they stock canned
> strawberries. I suggest to encourage the recording of details only for
> toilets that are explicitly public, and not those in restaurants or
> department stores.

Some establishments have no toilet for customers use, that, I view, as very poor for any eating establishment.
I would prefer to know that so that I can select another establishment that has toilet facilities.