[Tagging] Tag for mining "prospect"

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sat Mar 11 23:24:20 UTC 2017

Fresh from correcting tagging on some adits, I realize that I have probably miss-tagged some other features as mine shafts. In the semi-arid area with a history of mining that I am trying to add details to, there are man made features the old USGS topo maps called a “prospect”. These are places where someone has done some exploratory digging in search of ore but abandoned the site after only going down a couple of meters or less. So they aren’t really mine shafts, though if the vein paid out they might have developed into one.

I suppose in a wetter climate these would all be covered and filled by vegetation and not worth mapping, but in a desert or semi-desert environment they are quite visible and can be landmarks for a long distance so I think they ought to be mapped.

I don’t see a tag in any of the mining related wiki pages I’ve looked at that is appropriate and I am not even sure what the trade specific or technical term is for that type of feature other than the “prospect” label on old USGS map legends, and a reference to “prospect pits” in an article talking about USGS maps. And I’ve found at least one definition of “prospect pit” that seems to match what I see on the ground. [1] At present I am thinking of using “man_made=mine_prospect” or “man_made=prospect_pit”.

Comments? Suggestions?

[1] http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/prospect+pit