[Tagging] Tagging cannabis growing facilities

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Mar 12 14:33:01 UTC 2017

Dave,
I'd be concerned about tagging cannabis grow operation after the new
attorney general's comments. I live in Washington state. Cannabis shops are
well known, but not the grow operation. I assume because they are regulated
by the state that the Feds could find them. But I'd rather not make it easy
if the Feds don't know.

Because of this I'm not replying on the mailing list. FYI - I'm a supporter
of cannabis, even took my elderly father to a pot shop to get him help for
pain. And he doesn't have a problem.

Clifford

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been making an effort to add cannabis shops to areas that I either
> live in or visit. I live part time in Alaska and frequently visit Oregon
> and Washinton. Tagging a retail outlet is fairly straightforward; I use
> shop=cannabis and add details like street addresses, websites, etc. There
> is some discussion about recreational use vs medical use shops but that's
> another discussion. Here I'm interested in tagging a facility where
> cannabis is grown and not sold to walk-in customers but only to licensed
> retailers?
>
> If it were flowers being grown, one might use landuse=greenhouse_horticulture
> or something more like garden_centre. But these growing operations are, at
> least in Alaska, typically carried out indoors where light and atmosphere
> can be carefully controlled. And they are possibly not open to the public,
> although I'm not sure about that. I would need tagging for both nodes as
> well as areas making the landuse tag somewhat problematical.
>
> The answer to this question may find wider application as more and more
> "vertical farms" are built and start producing vegetables in urban areas.
> See Wikipedia
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming
>

> I think some or all of the following tags might be useful
> man_made=works  OR
> man_made=vertical_farm
> produce=cannabis
> access=private