[Tagging] Tagging cannabis growing facilities

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:53:08 UTC 2017

I've been making an effort to add cannabis shops to areas that I either
live in or visit. I live part time in Alaska and frequently visit Oregon
and Washinton. Tagging a retail outlet is fairly straightforward; I use
shop=cannabis and add details like street addresses, websites, etc. There
is some discussion about recreational use vs medical use shops but that's
another discussion. Here I'm interested in tagging a facility where
cannabis is grown and not sold to walk-in customers but only to licensed
retailers?

If it were flowers being grown, one might use
landuse=greenhouse_horticulture or something more like garden_centre. But
these growing operations are, at least in Alaska, typically carried out
indoors where light and atmosphere can be carefully controlled. And they
are possibly not open to the public, although I'm not sure about that. I
would need tagging for both nodes as well as areas making the landuse tag
somewhat problematical.

The answer to this question may find wider application as more and more
"vertical farms" are built and start producing vegetables in urban areas.
See Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming

I think some or all of the following tags might be useful
man_made=works  OR
man_made=vertical_farm
produce=cannabis
access=private