[Tagging] Tagging cannabis growing facilities

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 23:14:34 UTC 2017

These operations are not in any way undercover or illicit. The one that
motivated me to write was covered in the Alaska Dispatch News, Anchorage's
newspaper of record, and I obtained coordinates from the State of Alaska
Dept of Commerce
https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/Portals/9/pub/MCB/PublicNotice/10015.pdf

These shops and grow operations aren't going away anytime soon. Also,
Alaska has a long history of resisting federal intervention and I don't see
that changing just because of Trump's exceedingly shortsighted pick of
Sessions for attorney general.

So, to get back to my original question. I am thinking more and more that
vertical_farming might be the way to go. OSM does not use the term as yet
but, as I said earlier, this type of farming is becoming
increasingly popular for vegetables as well as marijuana. Getting back to
Trump again, as the climate continues to warm and we continue to ignore
that fact, we earthlings might find this sort of farming not just novel but
necessary in the future.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=vertical+farming+marijuana

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mapping some installations can be dissuaded. The military spring to mind.
> Some agricultural activities too attract unwanted attention, stopping
> beside some strange crop had the police stopping me later on and asking all
> sorts of questions.
> Those are things I don't map in detail, just the general thing
> (landuse=farmland ... with nothing else, and .. no it was not cannabis).
> While you can get the information by survey .. it is not something I'd
> make 'public'. Not a question of politics, but people making raids on the
> crops.
>
> On 13-Mar-17 01:45 AM, Colin Smale wrote:
>
> On 2017-03-12 15:33, Clifford Snow wrote:
>
> Dave,
> I'd be concerned about tagging cannabis grow operation after the new
> attorney general's comments. I live in Washington state. Cannabis shops are
> well known, but not the grow operation. I assume because they are regulated
> by the state that the Feds could find them. But I'd rather not make it easy
> if the Feds don't know.
>

> If they are tagged as such in OSM, that information must have come from
> some source that is already public...
>
> Let's not allow politics to get in the way of mapping!
>
> //colin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand