[Tagging] Landuse for vacant lots

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Mar 14 01:55:55 UTC 2017

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 6:41 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "brownfield" seems quite misleading as description for a plot formerly occupied by a house, it would be appropriate for former industrial or commercial areas with suspected pollution

I always understood the definition as "land that was previously used, then cleared to prepare for a different use. Lots are usually the site of existing structures or similar that were destroyed/demolished.

With this definition, a vacant lot in a neighborhood (where a building or house stood) is definitely a brownfield.

It is the opposite of greenfield construction - land cleared of native/natural habitat to be made ready for use for the first time - bulldozing a forest or filling in a swamp for construction. I was unaware of a pollution angle.

Javbw.