[Tagging] Landuse for vacant lots

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 09:41:40 UTC 2017

> I'd use "brownfield", both in OSM and more generally, for land that isn't
> scheduled for redevelopment yet.

"brownfield" seems quite misleading as description for a plot formerly
occupied by a house, it would be appropriate for former industrial or
commercial areas with suspected pollution (in case of former industrial and
some kind of commercial use it is very likely that the former use has left
some kind of pollution). The wiki confirms this point of view.
I know, the only other established landuse tag in OSM for vacant building
plots is "greenfield", and this requires no previous occupation by
buildings according to the wiki.

So basically it doesn't seem we have an established tag for this kind of
plots, and something new will have to be proposed.

Cheers,
Martin

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dgreenfield
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbrownfield