[Tagging] Vertical farming vs. other vertical plants

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 12:38:24 UTC 2017

No, this is actually closer to indoor farming. Shelves hold the plants
which are fed nutrients hydroponically, and these shelves may be stacked
one atop the other. Hence the term "vertical gardening".  Everything is
controlled artificially, even the content of the atmosphere.

And it does not take place in a greenhouse because the light cycle must be
carefully controlled to produce flowers; sunlight is not required and, in
fact, it is not desirable. That is one major reason these facilities are
indoor.

Although the produce is natural, the process to grow marijuana at latitudes
not near the equator is emphatically not.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> Hello all,
>>
>> regarding vertical plants,
>> some examples against air pollution came to my mind.
>> it's not really "farming", but at least an "artificial" way to grow
>> plants,
>> so it doesn't really fit with "natural" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/
>> wiki/Key:natural
>>
>> Do you think this should be considered ?
>>

> are you referring to facades or walls with plants growing on them? I think
> there might be a suggestion in the detailed building tags (some extension
> referring to facades), but I don't recall which.
> Definitely this is not something for "natural" (which are mostly natural
> geografic features and some landcover mixed in), see also the landcover
> proposal: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout