[Tagging] The direction=* tag

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 17 10:41:49 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-16 04:13, Tod Fitch wrote:
> The “direction” tag [1] has different uses that seem disjoint to me.
>
>  2. To specify direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) around a
>     roundabout (not sure why this is needed as it should be apparent
>     from local laws or specified with a “oneway=yes”).

This tag is used for mini-roundabouts, which are usually mapped as
nodes. So you can't tag it with oneway.
Yes, maybe it is obvious from local laws, but is it practical for
routing software and renderers to figure out what laws apply to a
particular roundabout? And there may be a few exceptions, with
mini-roundabouts which go in the opposite direction to the local defaults.
Though maybe it should be a more specific tag, eg roundabout:direction