[Tagging] address property of features

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 16:05:11 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-18 14:16, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> if there's a whole building or area with one housenumber you can put
> the feature inside and it can inherit the address from the area,
There are two ways to tag multiple features (or a single one) of the
same building:

  * name space tags, but it's complicated, not well formalized, a number
    of people don't like namespace although it's widely used and others
    don't understand it well
  * use separate feature elements inside the buildings

I polled several people near me and separate features are by far preferred.
On the other hand, I'm tagging many buildings (very precisely) and very
often the features are already there and I tag the building around (or,
most often, I move the feature inside :-)).

I see it almost the same way as you, except that because a feature is
not an object (visible "on the ground" etc.) it is not normally allowed
to stand alone on OSM and it has to conceptually be merged with the
building so that the building inherits the features too to achieve the
same as method #1.

So, indeed, a feature can be tagged with the same street address as one
of the building, not only because it can be multiple on the building but
because, even with a single address, *someone listing the feature tags
will not see the address* and may well not think of finding it in the
building tags.

*So, the wiki should clearly state and Osmose should be notified that
forbidding to use the same address twice holds between buildings
(objects) and not between features (non objects) and other elements.*
The tags of the features are the tags of the object they belong to and,
BTW, having the same street address as the object is a good way to show
to which object (or entrance thereof) they belong.

Cheers

André.