[Tagging] address property of features

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 13:16:55 UTC 2017

if there's a whole building or area with one housenumber you can put the feature inside and it can inherit the address from the area, it seems like a good way to map, but in many cases this is not possible. In Italy in general, every entrance and even some potential entrances get their own number. Features on the ground floor can easily be accessible by several numbers (store fronts tend to get a number for each window), even
on different streets (if they're on a street corner). But often the shops only use some of these numbers (often their main entrance). It makes sense to add address information to those features (the address they use) rather or in addition to adding the address to the entrance (alternatively we could associate the entrance with a relation to the feature, but this seems less stable and more complicated for less experienced mappers).

This practice isn't reflected by the current documentation of Addresses:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses

I would like to add it, but I'm unsure if this is Italy-specific or if we could recommend to map like this in general.

What is your opinion?

Cheers,
Martin

sent from a phone