[Tagging] Starbucks or Starbucks Coffee

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Mon Mar 20 21:37:51 UTC 2017

> On Mar 21, 2017, at 5:42 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:
>
> I'm all for "Starbucks" in the same vein that we tag "Chipotle" not
> "Chipotle Mexican Grill".

+1

I am not sure how "brand" and "official_name" work into it, but usually the store's name is not just "Starbucks coffee" - it usually has the place it is part of in it's title - Starbucks [town] [mall] - in my area it would be "Starbucks Power Mall Maebashi Minami". That is what it says it he name of the store is on their store locator, and that naming information gets passed down to the search and mapping sites.

https://www.starbucks.co.jp/store/search/detail.php?id=1034

"パワーモール前橋みなみ店"
=> "Power Mall Maebashi Minami [location]"

I usually put that into "official_name:en=" and put "Starbucks" into the name:en=field.

But I do know there is also the "brand" tag to help deal with places (like chains) that are signed the same. Perhaps the answer lies in that combination - but I am unsure of how it works.

Apple Maps uses short "brand" names and sticks with "Starbucks", while Google Maps lists out the gigantic names for every single shop, so Japanese Google Maps POI pins at a mall are super-messy and unreadable.

Javbw.