[Tagging] Starbucks or Starbucks Coffee

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Mon Mar 20 20:42:04 UTC 2017

On 03/20/2017 03:37 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> most of you know that place with the green mermaid logo serving coffee.
>
> But what is it's name/brand to be tagged in OSM?
>
> There is a wiki page suggesting "Starbucks Coffee". No references listed
> how it was decided to be. It also mentioned that "Starbucks" was more
> common.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/POI:Starbucks_Coffee
> As of today there are 5565 "Starbucks" and 1191 "Starbucks Coffee".

I'm all for "Starbucks" in the same vein that we tag "Chipotle" not
"Chipotle Mexican Grill". Although, I've seen the latter tagged as
alt_name which I'm fine with in that case, but if Starbucks itself is
deemphasizing the "coffee" part (similar to Domino's and Apple) I'm a
bit leery of adding "Starbucks Coffee" even as alt_name.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com