[Tagging] Tagging town/village/hamlet - am I misunderstanding something?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:47:07 UTC 2017

> But now I see that the places - for example, Fort Montgomery, NY
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/175462 - no longer have their names
> rendered on the map. Are municipalities a special case, where the point tag
> has to be retained to represent the 'town center'?  If so, I've only
> touched at most a handful of them, and I'll be happy to put the points back.

IMHO if you add place=city/town/village/hamlet to an administrative polygon
like this, you might not gain a lot, because you could already see by
looking at the admin_level what kind of entity it is, or maybe I miss
something (I don't know the particularities of the US)? From my
understanding, the administrative polygons show the borders of all land,
the settlement and the surroundings, while a potential
place=<settlement-value> polygon could show only the built up space
(probably including the other settlement parts like zoos, parks, etc.).

Similarly, I have never understood those place values that have been
created for entities that are already dealt with by administrative
polygons, namely country, state, county, municipality, region, district,
borough, ...

As a side note, your example Fort Montgomery, NY, to me doesn't look like a
hamlet, there's an elementary school, shops, a fire department, gas
station, hotel, cafe, sports grounds, and a significant amount of houses, I
would consider calling this a village.

Cheers,
Martin