[Tagging] Tagging town/village/hamlet - am I misunderstanding something?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:33:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a side note, your example Fort Montgomery, NY, to me doesn't look like
> a hamlet, there's an elementary school, shops, a fire department, gas
> station, hotel, cafe, sports grounds, and a significant amount of houses, I
> would consider calling this a village.

Local convention in New York is to follow the legal definitions. Fort
Montgomery is legally a hamlet.  New York has a few 'hamlets' that are
actually small cities. (Levittown, population about 52,000, is the largest
of these.) Villages, towns, and cities are incorporated places with their
own local governments. Hamlets have no local government other than the
township and county that they're in.