[Tagging] Tagging town/village/hamlet - am I misunderstanding something?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 19:50:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Two issues:
>
> 1) Recommended OSM tagging for place=* on smaller settlements is on the
> wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place#Populated_
> settlements.2C_urban_and_rural  You can see it's based mainly on
> population and is not directly correlated to the form of government. Seems
> like admin_level=* is the place for levels of government--see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level  (Ft
> Montgomery has a population of about 1500, so I'd agree with Martin to tag
> it as place=village.)

OK, it's a village (OSM's term, but not a political Village) with
admin_level=8. Got it. 'Suburb' is also plausible - there are a fair number
of people there who commute to New York City from Peekskill - but 'village'
probably fits the definition on the Wiki better.

> 2) The rendering of labels for places varies. If you take a look at the
> area on the four map layers on osm.org, a Fort Montgomery label appears
> 0, 1, or 2 times. So tag for what it is, not for rendering.

The render queue is not necessarily current on the other maps.When I looked
at the Humanitarian map just now, I saw the Fort Montgomery label, and a
Shift-Reload made it disappear (while making the park and military
reservation boundaries start to look correct). The only zoom level on
Humanitarian where I see Fort Montgomery labeled is zoom level 13, and
there I still see the incorrect boundaries for the military reservation and
the park that triggered this whole exercise. (Zoom levels 12 and 14 have
good boundaries, but no label on Ft Montgomery.)

I see the label on the transport map,. but the park boundaries are even
farther out of date - it looks as if that hasn't been re-rendered in weeks
- it's missing the oblong parcel of Bear Mountain State Park north of the
village.

You're right that Open Cycle Map is showing the name.

In any case, I wasn't looking to tag for the renderer, merely taking the
changed rendering as a warning that I might have mistagged. In fact, for
my own use, I don't ordinarily use any of the OSM renderings, but
something more like
https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test3.html?la=41.3340&lo=-73.9785&z=15
(And I recently came to realize that I'm rendering place names only for
points, and wondering whether I should fix that.)