[Tagging] Tagging town/village/hamlet - am I misunderstanding something?

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:57:17 UTC 2017

Two issues:

1) Recommended OSM tagging for place=* on smaller settlements is on the
wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place#Populated_settlements.2C_urban_and_rural
You can see it's based mainly on population and is not directly correlated
to the form of government. Seems like admin_level=* is the place for levels
of government--see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_admin_level  (Ft
Montgomery has a population of about 1500, so I'd agree with Martin to tag
it as place=village.)

2) The rendering of labels for places varies. If you take a look at the
area on the four map layers on osm.org, a Fort Montgomery label appears 0,
1, or 2 times. So tag for what it is, not for rendering.

Brad