[Tagging] Traffic sign relevant direction: relation type:enforcement vs. direction=* vs. traffic_signals:direction=*

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Tue Mar 28 05:31:16 UTC 2017

Am 27.03.2017 um 17:29 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>>:
>
>     In the case you have added e.g. a stop sign on the way. A second
>     mapper comes in, splits the way on the stop sign, reverts the
>     direction of one of the spit parts. Now the node is at the end of 2
>     ways with different direction and one cannot know what is
>     forward/backward in that node. But any good editor can give a
>     warning/error for such a case.
>

> yes, the editor can issue a warning, but what should be the reaction
> then? Shall we discourage changing way directions because of a stop
> sign node on this way? Usually there's a good reason for people
> changing way directions, adding more complexity to these changes with
> highway signs depending on them is not necessary.

It is just a warning, that this is one of the seldom situations where
you need a relation - just check, obey and ignore afterwards.
Furthermore the editor can check for the relation too.

Yes there is a possibillity for such a situation, but I doubt they would
be essentially - and it can be solved by a relation.
But a pure possibility should not effect the majority of simple
situations - it is OSM-like to consider simple solutions and spare
relations for the difficult ones only.