[Tagging] named spots in settlements (toponyms)

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Mar 28 09:20:43 UTC 2017

I would suggest place=locality in this case, and have seen it used for
things like that (e.g. in Dublin, Ireland
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/11675220 ).

The "unpopulated place" bit is (IMO) just to separate it from
town/village/hamlet etc, where you should be able to say "How many
people live here?". In your examples, the people probably say they live
in the city, rather than the place.

Informal places are fine. They satisfy the "on the ground rule". If you
go to the area, and ask 50 local people "How can I get to $PLACE?"
they'll probably all point you to the same place, ergo, it exists.