[Tagging] named spots in settlements (toponyms)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 09:58:44 UTC 2017

> The "unpopulated place" bit is (IMO) just to separate it from
> town/village/hamlet etc, where you should be able to say "How many
> people live here?". In your examples, the people probably say they live
> in the city, rather than the place.

yes, this is exactly how I would read it as well (doesn't make a lot of
sense otherwise), although it is often interpreted differently, that's why
I asked if we could make the locality definition less ambiguous. What is
your stance on this?

There are other toponyms with clear reference to something (maybe now
gone), e.g. a city gate (where the name of the city gate often still exists
for the place, although there are now only few remains of the city walls or
gates, in this case I would prefer adding a more precise class (e.g.
historic=city_gate).

Cheers,
Martin