[Tagging] natural=bay on areas

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Mar 28 13:19:00 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 28 March 2017, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> > A waterbody where plant and animal life matches or is close to that
> > of the sea rather to that of a river or lake.
>
> I think it's a grey area, it's not completely like a river, nor that
> of the sea. But in this case, I'm not sure, what information do you
> have that confirms this?

My initial assessment was based on an intuitive look on the water
balance of the bay - which can be backed up with numbers from here:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.575.3453&rep=rep1&type=pdf

If you do the math you see that the freshwater inflow is insignificant
compared to the tidal water exchange.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/