[Tagging] named spots in settlements (toponyms)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Mar 29 12:53:18 UTC 2017

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 01:39, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>>
>>  a name for a particular location, generally known to the inhabitants
>>  of surrounding areas, and whose naming significant is other than as a
>>  name for a population center, such that one of the settlement
>>  hierarchy terms is not appropriate
>
> I'm generally in agreement with your post, but the part "generally
> known to the inhabitants of surrounding areas" might be too
> exclusive. I would be fine with toponyms that are only known to 10-20%
> (for example), e.g. a few old people, while I would read "generally"
> as >50-70%

That's totally fine with me.  I wasn't really thinking about exactly
what "generally" means, but you are right.

I agree that if the people who know the history best think a name is
appropriate, that's what counts, even if it's only some fraction of the
elders, the map/geo nerds, and members of the historical society.