[Tagging] named spots in settlements (toponyms)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:41:24 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 01:39, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
>  a name for a particular location, generally known to the inhabitants
>  of surrounding areas, and whose naming significant is other than as a
>  name for a population center, such that one of the settlement
>  hierarchy terms is not appropriate

I'm generally in agreement with your post, but the part "generally known to the inhabitants of surrounding areas" might be too exclusive. I would be fine with toponyms that are only known to 10-20% (for example), e.g. a few old people, while I would read "generally" as >50-70%

There might also be different toponyms that already have dedicated tags, besides settlements and dwellings.

cheers,
Martin