[Tagging] natural=bay on areas

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 23:06:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:41 AM, Juan Pablo Tolosa Sanzana <
jptolosanzana at gmail.com> wrote:

> An exact limit between the open ocean and a sheltered coast is too
> arbitrary as natural feature. It seems a political issue. You can use
> boundary=maritime + border_type=baseline for excluding internal waters from
> the open ocean, according of laws of the country. Check the article
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_waters

Speaking of maritime boundaries and bays and estuaries, the Rio de la Plata
estuary between Argentina and Uruguay is currently modeled in OSM as
*inside* the coastline. If you look at the OSM default carto layer at zoom
5 and lower, where inland waterbodies are not rendered, Montevideo and
Buenos Aires appear to be landlocked inland cities, which doesn't look
right.[1] (See the attached image.) The coastline there follows the UNCLOS
claimed baseline which isn't right because UNCLOS allows countries to
specify a baseline separate from the coastline that encloses parts of the
sea/ocean (thereby making those parts internal waters of the country) when
it meets certain geometric conditions. I think the coastline between
Argentina and Uruguay should include most of the Rio.

If we follow the practice of mapping the coastline along the claimed
baseline like in the Rio de la Plata elsewhere in the world, then the Gulf
of Sidra in Libya[1] would be considered as an inland waterbody, which does
not make sense. Note that the United States have protested as excessive
both the claimed baseline of Libya in the Gulf of Sidra (this resulted in
the Gulf of Sidra incident in 1981) and the joint claimed baseline of
Argentina and Uruguay in the Rio de la Plata.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/-35.335/-56.382
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/31.961/17.249