[Tagging] natural=bay on areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 07:25:56 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 01:06, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> because UNCLOS allows countries to specify a baseline separate from the coastline that encloses parts of the sea/ocean (thereby making those parts internal waters of the country) .

I thought the baseline was generally separate from the actual coastline. It is an administrative construct, while this thread is about natural features. Internal waters, territorial waters , exclusive sea zones, they're all about political and economical power and benefit, not about natural geologic/geographical configurations.

> If we follow the practice of mapping the coastline along the claimed baseline like in the Rio de la Plata elsewhere in the world, then the Gulf of Sidra in Libya[1] would be considered as an inland waterbody

I didn't know about the practice of mapping the coastline along the baseline, AFAIK we don't map the baseline, only their 12nm offset (maritime borders)

cheers,
Martin