[Tagging] wikipedia links and copy + paste in tag definitions

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:18:52 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 1. May 2017, at 12:37, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Do not falsely conflate "complex" with "worse". You original complaint
> was, in effect, that there was a lack of complexity, now you complain
> that there is.

no, my main concern is that both have different scope, and that people are modifying wikidata without looking at the use of osm tags.

>> You have to follow a lot of links and definitions and there
>> are many dependencies, everything is connected:
>
> It's called "linked data" for a reason.

yes, but it makes it completely impractical for osm users to use it as definitions for their tags. We should have something concise, not too long, and not self contradicting. Not a web of self contradicting possibilities with endless texts in different languages which aren't consistent between them.

>> if the meaning of a property is modified this will actually modify
>> a huge lot of objects that use this property.
>
> Do you have examples of the meanings of properties being modified,
> such that things were broken in this way? Or is this mere FUD?
>
>> E.g. place in osm is orthogonal to administrative entities, in wikidata
>> it is not. Add a property/"instance of" to the wikidata town object like
>> "administrative territorial entity" and you changed all towns.
>
> If someone made such a ridiculous change, they would be reverted. This is FUD.

rather than calling my arguments FUD, you should have a look at wikidata. I don't write out of nothing about these issues, or because I hate structured information. I was very interested in wikidata at first, but the more I'm exploring it and following links after links, the more I have become reluctant that it is in any usable state or even ever will be - besides synchronizing some numbers between different languages and similar.

The entity "town" ALREADY IS an administrative territorial entity in wikidata, and nobody has reverted it: https://m.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3957
At least since 2014, and a lot of people have "automatically patrolled" it since then, whatever that means, (likely it has nothing to do with a human verification of content plausibility)

Cheers,
Martin