[Tagging] wikipedia links and copy + paste in tag definitions

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 2 00:17:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

> I also thought like this, but not so rarely I have noticed people are
> not only adding this link as the first word, they are also replacing the
> following definition by the first paragraph of the English wikipedia
> article with the same name.

That should only be done with solid knowledge and after careful
analysis, but I wouldn't say it is always wrong.

> As some people have now started to create wikidata objects for OSM tags,
> I am sort of worried that part of our authority on the meaning of tags
> might be slowly externalized: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q29637965

I am wary of the growing influence of "wikipedia think" in OSM and I
dislike how a very small number of people have forced their wikidata
links on us in recent months.

But without knowing a lot about the story and mechanisms behind it, the
link you quoted above doesn't seem wrong. It is not called "castle" but
"structure tagged as historic=castle in OSM", and the only things it
seems to say about this is that it is some kind of architectural
structure and that the definition of what exactly it is can be found on
the OSM wiki.

That hardly counts as externalizing our authority on tagging, or does it?

Bye
Frederik