[Tagging] rail routes: how are platforms and stops associated (rail question 2)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed May 10 17:57:26 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 18:42 +0100, Bjoern Hassler wrote:
> > But yes - what do you do if a rain route goes through a station,
> > where the rails temporarily split into several tracks? Where is the
> > stop position for that route? Clearly in that case stop_positions
> > on the route cannot be associated with platforms in the station,
> > and full routing is not possible.
>
> However, I would say that each platform should still have a
> stop_position (on the rails) - even though those stop_positions might
> not be in route relations...

And different stop positions for each direction? In larger stations
platforms serve trains in different directions. And not forgetting
platforms can be split, Shrewsbury uses 4a/4b/7a/7b and its quite
possible to have trains in 4a/4b at the same time that will leave in
different directions. That is having arrived as a single train into
platform 4....

Phil (trigpoint)