[Tagging] Bus relation - circular route - report says not closed

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:11:25 UTC 2017

Hi Warin,

I created a screencast on how I reworked the route relation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xY966xwEH0

It's a bit clumsy :-) I should have downloaded more data around the stops.
Then I would have noticed the nodes with highway=bus_stop.

What I wanted to show is that the PT_Assistant plugin can help out a lot
when creating bus route relations.

Were the stops in the relation in the correct order?

On your questions:

1. you get visual feedback from the route relation editor, both on
continuity and on whether the ways in a route form a closed loop/roundtrip.

2. All the ways in PT v2 relations from a long string of connected ways. If
the vehicle passed them more than once, they are also in the relation more
than once.

3. stop_position nodes are nodes that are part of the ways. For buses they
are not extremely useful. The highway=bus_stop nodes had already been
mapped before and one of them had a name and information about the bus
lines that serve it. I moved this to route_ref. These are the nodes that
contain such details, so as far as I'm concerned these are the nodes that
should be added to the route relations. For PT v2 they get a
public_transport=platform tag.

If there are actual platforms, they also get the public_transport=platform
tag, but those are mapped as ways or areas. If you like them to be
rendered, you can give them additional highway=platform (or
railway=platform for tram and train lines) tags.

I don't see any need to add such platform ways to the route relations. If
you like you can add them to public_transport=stop_area relations, along
with the corresponding platform and stop_position nodes and shelters,
waste_baskets and benches.

Polyglot