[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun May 21 11:36:55 UTC 2017

> What about the effect on a way or polygon to which the sign actually does
> apply?

this will be tagged as we have always done. E.g. a footpath sign:
highway=footway. A maxspeed sign? maxspeed=<value>, source:maxspeed=sign,
etc.

> If the presence of signs in OSM is to be actually useful (apart from as a
> collection of poles with plates on them) they have to be linked in some way
> to their effect.

IMHO this linking is done by spatial proximity (and sign orientation). In
reality there are no more indications to where a sign applies than their
proximity and orientation. There is no other link.

> A "no overtaking" sign for example - obviously (unless otherwise
> qualified) it starts from the sign, but where does the restriction end? The
> end might not always be explicitly signed.

this can depend on legislation. Usually the end of the restriction should
be signed (or the restriction will already have indications when it will
end/to where it applies, e.g. a sharp bend), some jurisdictions also
require that it will be repeated at every crossing, or it will end
automatically.

> European traffic law is full of cases where a sign applies until the next
> junction, but what counts as the "next junction" may not be unambiguously
> obvious from the OSM data. And a give-way sign must be unambiguously linked
> to the junction and road segment to which it applies.

I am convinced that geometry alone is not able to resolve this in all
> cases, so an explicit model is also required.

feel free to come up with something, just because something can not resolve
all cases does not mean that all cases have to be made complicated. I have
so far never encountered a situation where I would have needed a relation
to say what I think to where a sign applies (surely these will exist, but
not in "masses", at least not around here). Many signs are also very
redundant (IMHO) for mapping purposes, e.g. the turn restriction signs
before entering into a oneway street are complemented by the oneway signs
and the no-entry signs in the opposite direction. A lot of signs (and work)
for what can usually be mapped unambigously with a simple oneway=yes tag in
OSM.

Cheers,
Martin