[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun May 21 12:35:59 UTC 2017

> WHY do we put traffic signs into OSM?

I do it because in the past in many occassions I have found the maxspeed I
had mapped, later destroyed by mappers who had merged the ways with
different maxspeeds back into one way, and I was hoping that the explicit
sign positions would:

a) reduce this problematic behaviour (because they would maybe better see
why the ways were split)

b) facilitate fixing the problems later (because usually the signs were not
deleted)

c) facilitate working in iterations (not surveying everything at once and
alone, but building on previous surveys by me and others to construct
together the correct maxspeed for all roads)

d) allow to check until when a restriction applies (often maxspeeds are
added to ways but the mapper doesn't verify it applies to the whole osm
way, or beyond that actual osm-way)

For these purposes I used mainly maxspeed and city limit traffic signs,
additionally I do it for maxweight, maxheight and maxwidth (for similar
reasons).

Cheers,
Martin