[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun May 21 13:36:49 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-21 15:14, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> Basically only d) is related to functionality for the consumer of the data - a/b/c are about the OSM-internal process of how we get there. If we don't have some view of what we want to get out of OSM, then any discussion about normalising what to put in is pointless.
>
> personally, I see also d) as related to the way we do mapping, rather than being something for data consumers. Normalization is still needed in order to display the information in a convenient way in the editors.

I was being generous, trying to see some kind of concern for the
customer....

So, challenge to all: WHY are we storing traffic signs in OSM? I am not
saying here that there is no reason, or that I disagree with it; merely
asking people to challenge their own thinking and articulate why it
might be beneficial to have individual traffic signs in OSM, and to
whom.

To get the ball rolling I will contribute the first EUR0.02:
* to improve a scene render (photo-realistic from a particular point of
view)

For routing purposes, my personal feeling is that restrictions and
compulsions on road users would be better represented by associating
them with the (combinations of) roads to which they apply - assuming an
unambiguous model is defined to handle lane-specific and
direction-specific rules. This issue of course would apply equally to
rules inferred from traffic signs on nodes.

//colin