[Tagging] Australian Solar Challenge Race

Sun May 21 15:49:29 UTC 2017

>     I think we should NOT tag these kinds of one-off routes, with no
>     visible trace on the ground.
>

> I am not sure about this Australian one, but sometimes there will
> actually be "traces on the ground", also after the event. E.g. the Grand
> Prix Circuit of Monaco (currently in OSM AFAIK there is only mapped a
> replica of it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/153805357 )
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Monaco
>
> So while I agree we shouldn't map all kind of racing and ralley routes
> (this comprises also also marathons, bicycle races, etc.) on ordinary
> roads, we might consider adding some (those that actually are at least
> partly observable for the rest of the year, i.e. theyleave "traces").

That's a completely different thing. The monaco cirquit, while
originally being build as just city streets and still being used as
such, is actually very recognizable as having dual use. e.g.
<https://www.google.nl/maps/@43.7375373,7.4272024,3a,75y,270.2h,65.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s90afFkiy5oU7LdX4eJgj0Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656>
the red/white striped "racing curb"

The Solar challenge is a challenge that takes place on public roads
which are not modified for the race. Similar to things like the Tour de
France. Even though for the Tour, municipalities sometimes take the
effort of renovating (re-asphalting) a road, and painted names can be
seen on the asphalt years later, it is not a marked "cirquit".

Exceptions would be if there were permanent "touristic" markers along
the way such as "World Solar Challenge Route →".
e.g. the climb of the Alpe d'Huez, with it's numbered curves
<https://www.google.nl/maps/@45.0765786,6.0473025,3a,19.7y,307.66h,88.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgdWTA9aaMCQdvdAud4Cdag!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DgdWTA9aaMCQdvdAud4Cdag%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D289.0417%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656>
  (with signs at each curve), is something that I could see being mapped
as a cycle route in OSM.

Tijmen/IIVQ

P.S. Max/abonnements at revolwear.com - will you reply to the thread
in-list and not to me privately? Any mail that goes into my
mailinglists-emailaddress off-list tends to go unnoticed.