[Tagging] Time is now: tag ALL traffic signs in OSM

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu May 25 11:00:47 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> On 21.05.2017 22:23, yo paseopor wrote:
> > As you can see in http://imgur.com/gallery/SgE90 with Kendzi3D JOSM
> > plugin you can locate the traffic signs belonging to a way.
>
> Of course it's always possible to guess a place next to the road, but
> even with your proposed side=* tagging, that's not nearly as good as
> being able to map the actual location.

I'm also a proponent of "actual location" for the sign nodes.  Especially
since signs can be spotted by the shadows and therefore can be used as an
aid to determining map alignment.

> Also consider that not all signs clearly belong to a single road, for
> example [1]. Plus there are traffic signs which are not next to a way at
> all, but e.g. on a pedestrian square or a parking space, which can only
> be mapped using separate nodes.

Oddly enough, I have an example of this in my neighborhood.  I took a
picture of it because it looks like it's telling the cycleway to wait for
green light, not the turnpike coins-only onramp.  Also, surprisingly in
good shape and unfaded for a button-copy era sign.

http://i.imgur.com/YrzWp5u.jpg
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=36.02489&mlon=-95.92179#map=19/36.02489/-95.92179