[Tagging] name with name:en

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 22:08:28 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-15 21:34, Warin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There looks to be a duplication taking place (map.me problem ?) where
> both the name=* tag and name:en (the local language)=* are being
> entered as the same value.
There is nothing saying what language name=* is, what the failed
language=* proposal intended to do.
I stated that to do so either language=* would have to be tagged for
each name=* or that a default rule like Proposed features/Defaults
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Defaults> should
be used but it was answered that this proposal is for speed limits
(which is obviously untrue), that it is abandoned (which is a huge
mistake), and that language=* needs no defaults (which is untrue too).

I just cannot imagine that, by having no default mechanism, OSM is such
that the values of many of its tags are located in various other databases.

Cheers

André.