[Tagging] Feature proposal - Voting - Education Reform

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:30:23 UTC 2017

> While I'm a bit undecided on if we need an education reform at all and
> you need to make clear what the voting is actually on, the underlying
> proposal is far from ready for any kind of vote or usage at this point
> in time.

I agree with all points.

> You need to at least provide a reasonably thorough treatment of how
> existing tagging should be mapped to your new scheme and give some
> rationale why you are lumping in non-educational facilities (see
> educational=nursery).

+1, I don't see a need to deprecate amenity=university or school or the
other existing and well used tags, but neither do I see benefit from double
tagging these (if the tags convey the same meaning). Also the term
"education" doesn't really fit with (childcare), nursery, (daycare),
crèche, etc. and is incomplete for universities because a significant part
of unis is research.

The proposed values are incomplete and mix orthogonal "classes" (e.g.
"administrative" = field of endeavor same key as school / university =
level of education) (e.g. what happens to "college", are these kept or
merged into "university"? What about dance / music (singing / instruments,
...) / schools? Academies? Conservatories? Professional schools? Subtags
how to tag the specialization (if any), about the degress you can get,
institutes and faculties, etc.).

Maybe not all of this is needed in this proposal, but if we're to redesign
things I would want to integrate at least what we can already now see is
missing (or not documented well). Currentlly you don't suggest more than
regrouping a selection of related things (with already established tags)
under a new education key.

I would also reword the parts which suggest the function tags should be
applied to "buildings" (these can be applied to nodes or areas or other
objects (sites, etc.), including but not limited to areas that are defined
by a single building outline).

As Simon has written, there's some work missing to get this to a point
where it can be voted.

Cheers,
Martin