[Tagging] Additional sub tags for survey mark

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 09:52:57 UTC 2017

Trig points ... according to http://www.icsm.gov.au/mapping/surveying1.html#jargon_trig

all the trig points have a benchmark under them.
Suppose that makes sense in that if the trig point were damaged in a store then it can be easily re-established.

On 23-Nov-17 03:04 PM, Mark Wagner wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:25:52 +1100
> Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21-Nov-17 04:12 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>>

>>> On 21 November 2017 at 12:48, Andrew Harvey
>>> <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com <mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>>      I'm not sure, I've only seen two types the brass disk in the
>>>      footpath, gutter, road etc. and the rock or cement pillar with a
>>>      plate on top, sometimes with a black mental circle which can be
>>>      seen from a distance. Your proposed tags provides a way to
>>>      distinguish these.
>>>

>>> Sometimes slight variation in that the disk has been set into a
>>> concrete block on a hill etc, but the same for mapping purposes.
>>>
>> I am reminded of Cameron's Corner where a concrete pillar has been
>> erected with a large brass plaque on to reporting it as the junction
>> of 3 Australian states.
>> In fact this is a tourist attraction and not the true survey mark.
>> The true survey mark was subject to vandalism/souvenir and has been
>> hidden to prevent further costs.
>> For this reason I would support not rendering benchmarks.
> Most survey marks are not of interest to anybody other than surveyors,
> much less tourists seeking to take them as souvenirs.  There are only a
> few places such as Cameron's Corner, or Four Corners in the US, where
> theft would be a problem.
>
> If anyone wants to steal a National Geodetic Survey marker, the NGS
> website provides a complete map of them at
> https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

With enough effort you can find where survery marks/trig points are in mot places.

Trig points are usefull on a map - even an OSM one - as people still use a map and compass as a fail safe.

Bench marks are far less usefull to most people, I use them to improve the map accuracy.