[Tagging] Additional sub tags for survey mark

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Nov 23 04:04:25 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 09:25:52 +1100
Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21-Nov-17 04:12 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >

> > On 21 November 2017 at 12:48, Andrew Harvey
> > <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com <mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     I'm not sure, I've only seen two types the brass disk in the
> >     footpath, gutter, road etc. and the rock or cement pillar with a
> >     plate on top, sometimes with a black mental circle which can be
> >     seen from a distance. Your proposed tags provides a way to
> >     distinguish these.
> >

> > Sometimes slight variation in that the disk has been set into a
> > concrete block on a hill etc, but the same for mapping purposes.
> >

> I am reminded of Cameron's Corner where a concrete pillar has been
> erected with a large brass plaque on to reporting it as the junction
> of 3 Australian states.
> In fact this is a tourist attraction and not the true survey mark.
> The true survey mark was subject to vandalism/souvenir and has been
> hidden to prevent further costs.
> For this reason I would support not rendering benchmarks.

Most survey marks are not of interest to anybody other than surveyors,
much less tourists seeking to take them as souvenirs.  There are only a
few places such as Cameron's Corner, or Four Corners in the US, where
theft would be a problem.

If anyone wants to steal a National Geodetic Survey marker, the NGS
website provides a complete map of them at
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/

--
Mark