[Tagging] war_memorial

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 01:00:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Question on memorials v monuments thanks.
>
> How about a memorial arboretum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arboretum),
> a commemorative planted grove of trees that you can walk through & sit
> under?
>
> Does that count as a monument, or is it a memorial?

​As I read wiki.osm, both historic=memorial and historic=monument are
presumed man-made structures, with the latter reserved for that which is
truly "'monumental' in size".  Neither would apply to an Arboretum (even
though it's an unnatural landscape on monumental scale, it's not a
structure).  (FWIW, xref there includes man_made=obelisk and memorial=stele
)

It sounds like the wiki expects us to find the plaque or stele etc inside
the memorial arboretum and tag it as the historic=memorial,
memorial=plaque, etc. and only tag an area thus if the monumental structure
has outline worth outlining as closed area way.

​This memorial park  http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/29743732 is not an
arboretum, AFAIK, although some of the trees may have been planted trees,
it's not about the trees.  Unless I find a plaque or other marker, the wiki
is not encouraging use of either memorial or monument, although
memorial:conflict=WW1 could apply.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmonumenthttp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmemorial​

​More info on my Memorial Park area
http://fd.ema.arrl.org/SiteDetail.php?site=MemPk ​