[Tagging] war_memorial

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 01:26:24 UTC 2017

On 04-Oct-17 12:00 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick
> <graemefitz1 at gmail.com <mailto:graemefitz1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Question on memorials v monuments thanks.
>
>     How about a memorial arboretum
>     (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arboretum
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arboretum>), a commemorative
>     planted grove of trees that you can walk through & sit under?
>
>     Does that count as a monument, or is it a memorial?
>

> ​As I read wiki.osm, both historic=memorial and historic=monument are
> presumed man-made structures, with the latter reserved for that which
> is truly "'monumental' in size".  Neither would apply to an Arboretum
> (even though it's an unnatural landscape on monumental scale, it's not
> a structure).  (FWIW, xref there includes man_made=obelisk and
> memorial=stele )
>
> It sounds like the wiki expects us to find the plaque or stele etc
> inside the memorial arboretum and tag it as the historic=memorial,
> memorial=plaque, etc. and only tag an area thus if the monumental
> structure has outline worth outlining as closed area way.
>
> ​This memorial park http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/29743732 is not
> an arboretum, AFAIK, although some of the trees may have been planted
> trees, it's not about the trees.  Unless I find a plaque or other
> marker, the wiki is not encouraging use of either memorial or
> monument, although memorial:conflict=WW1 could apply.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmonument
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Dmemorial​
>
> ​More info on my Memorial Park area
> http://fd.ema.arrl.org/SiteDetail.php?site=MemPk>

Memorial avenues exist - roads with tress planted alongside to remember
the dead usually from wars.
See http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=13557
No OSM taggging other than a road in OSM

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/280394066

Each tree usually commemorates one person, the tree signifies the
victory of life over death.
While there may a be a plaque - it is the tree that forms the memorial
for that person.
The collection of trees form a memorial to the war dead as a collective.

I have not tagged them...

Some more info?
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/environment/protecting-heritage/remembrance-driveway/history/index.html

I think a memorial rather than a monument. But I am not pedantic about it.