[Tagging] war_memorial

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 09:19:24 UTC 2017

Can I contribute to this debate?
AFAIK I invented memorial=war_memorial for the Project of the Week which coincided with 11th November 2010. I agonised a certain amount about the best tag (both because of issues mentioned here, and because it would apply to both historic=monument and historic=memorial). However, at the time there were next to no uses of the tag memorial. I did try and discuss this on IRC channels (eg with the Italian community)
As it stands this represents around a third of instances of the key, and I believe pre-dates other classes of meanings for memorial (see http://taghistory.raifer.tech/ and type some typical values in).
The original description page for the PotW makes it clear that the tag was intended for many different types of memorial (See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Nov_10):

   - Walls
   - Gates (the Menin Gate)
   - Ossuaries (common in Italy)
   - Monuments (Vimy Ridge)
   - Simple village memorials
   - Public facilities (community halls, bridges etc)
   - Places dedicated as a war memorial: 2 large areas in the centre of the English Lake District including the highest peak in England
   - Arboreta

I am personally not very keen on deprecating tags which represent such a significant fraction of the total usage of a key, as it is in effect changing the meaning of the key in the database (as opposed to its description in the wiki). However I share the sense of awkwardness with the dual meanings implicit in the use of the key. In general such tags have been disambiguated by adding colons. I'm not at all sure about memorial:theme (a proper tabulation of likely values is needed), but memorial:form (or something similar for plaque, wall etc) is easier. Note that in many cases the object will not need the form to be described if it is a building, man made structure etc).
My personal suggestions are:

   - memorial:commemorates with values of person; event; war (or conflict); building ...
   - just a simple war_memorial=yes (which perhaps fits better with the wide range of object which could be tagged).

As for arboreta, I have been wondering for some time about a garden tag for describing all the different features of large gardens, and arboreta are common features. The idea needs work, but would include arboretum, alpine, herbaceous, systematic & perennial beds, various kinds of glass houses, wild flower gardens, species collections etc.
Jerry