[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Public Transport v2 Vehicle Type "coach"

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Sat Oct 7 16:34:47 UTC 2017

Hey, just want to add some thoughts here..

It would be really great if people could just use a tag for one thing.  Reusing a tag like `service=*` for multiple things makes it difficult for us to suggest good values in the iD editor based on tag usage.

Check out the popular values for the service tag:  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/service#values <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/service#values>

You can see that it’s mostly highway stuff, with some railway and other things mixed in.

Because of this, we need to maintain different lists in iD for “service=* values for highways” and “service=* values for railways”.  This is ok, but the disadvantage is that it is more lists that we need to maintain in the editor, and it kind of steers people away from being able to use any tag values that they like.

Since the service tag only has 1352 of these kind of new “bus route" uses, it would be really great to retag these using a namespaced key like `route:service` before it gains too much traction.

Inventing tags is totally fine - but reusing existing ones for new uses can be problematic... I hope this is helpful information for people to know why namespacing keys is helpful, and why certain things are difficult to support in iD..

Thanks!
Bryan