[Tagging] Oil fields - how to tag?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sun Oct 15 10:29:34 UTC 2017

On Sunday 15 October 2017, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> I'm trying to determine the ideal tagging scenario for the many oil
> fields in the State of Alaska. The areas, which are large tracts of
> land leased from the State of Alaska, are typically very large
> (50-100 sq miles) and are mostly empty except for a few installations
> containing wellsites or pumping facilities for the raw petroleum.
> Consequently, all those installations are part of some larger leased
> and named tract.
>
> [...]

The wiki page on landuse=industrial has some suggestions:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dindustrial

Also consider:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dpetroleum_well

Whatever you do - please do not tag the whole oil field as
landuse=industrial, only use that for the individual sites where there
is actual industrial infrastructure at the surface.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/