[Tagging] Oil fields - how to tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:48:01 UTC 2017

> On Sunday 15 October 2017, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> > I agree that tagging the entire lease area as landuse=industrial is
> > not correct. Part of the reason for posting is that I'm looking for
> > alternative ways to tag the large lease areas. Is there a boundary
> > tag that someone can suggest?
>
> I am not sure if - unless there is a fence - this can be considered
> verifiable.  In OSM we don't map land ownership or land use rights and
> we only map boundaries if they are meaningful to normal people (which
> is usually the case for administrative boundaries or nature reserves).
> A mining claim or oil drilling rights do not seem to qualify since - as
> i understand it - you may still do anything in the area you may do
> elsewhere (other than drilling of course).

I think we don't map individual land ownership or land use rights because
of privacy concerns, but for companies that's not a consideration, and we
do map "operator"s of features, which sometimes means the same. IMHO in the
case of oilfields, if the information is publicly available, there wouldn't
be a problem to map the company that has the concession, and its spatial
extension, even more but not limited to fenced areas.

Cheers,
Martin