[Tagging] building=stands or building=grandstand?

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Fri Oct 27 23:04:07 UTC 2017

Warin,

Tom did not totally remove the reference to "building=stands", it is
listed as discouraged on the new "building=grandstand" Wiki page.

As to "building=grandstand", although undocumented, I have seen this
used on exactly the type of structure Tom included. Of course, the
difference as to what constitutes a full stadium and / or just a
grandstand is a bit vague, and users to some extent use them
interchangeably. But in general, I have seen two uses:

- Used on a single "building=grandstand" that was the only feature
around a playing field

- Used on individual sections of a full concentric "building=stadium",
or multiple disjunct "building=grandstand" features surrounding the
playing field.

As I wrote in my first post, the tag itself is at least 4 years old, and
maybe much longer. Just needed documentation, as Tom now did. Thanks Tom!

*** Tom, just one other remark:***

In the "Tagging mistakes" section, you referenced "building=stand",
which also exists according to the TagInfo table next to it, but the
original new tag I saw was "building=stands(!)" so plural
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=building%3Dstands). I think
you need to include this second discouraged tag as well... Currently,
"building=stands" has even more uses (244) then "building=stand" (85)

Marco

Op 27-10-2017 om 23:53 schreef Warin:
>>> Object.
>>> No contact with mappers using that value.
>>
>> The usage was discouraged for this purpose, neither forbidden nor
>> deprecated.
>> No tagging in the database was changed (by myself).
>
> Yet the wiki reference was totally removed from the wiki.
> I think leaving the mention of it on the wiki, but putting a line
> through it and placing comments on the wiki discussion page would be
> better way of discouragement. That is the way I have seen it done for
> discouragement in the past.
> I think the removal may be provocation to an edit war?
>
> Before the removal it said ...
> "A big tribunes. " and showed the same photo as stadium.
> So possibly 'stands' is 'stadium' rather than 'grandstand'.

---