[Tagging] Fire hydrants vs suction_point

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:21:57 UTC 2017

On 07-Sep-17 05:47 PM, Moritz wrote:

>>> And there seems to be a consensus for grouping all things where
>>> firefighters can attach their pump under emergency=fire_hydrant.
>> Where there is a dedicated pipe/hydrant. Where there is a 'Static
>> Water Supply' then there are usually no formal fittings of any
>> description.
> 'Static  Water Supply' you mean a place near a pond/lake/stream where
> no prebuilt pipe is available and it is just a place where to park the
> fire engine to get easy access
> to the water by using there own hoses?
>
> As far as I understood that will be the emergency=suction_point
That is too restrictive - limited to natural=water and rivers, I'd think
streams would be accepted too.
  'Static  Water Supply' around me are mostly private backyard swimming
pools (leisure=swimming_pool access=private). Where the owner agrees a
'SWS' sign is placed at the property boundary close to the road.
Other things with an SWS sign are rainwater tanks (typically 1,000 to
10,000 litres, the next development on my property requires a 5,000l tank).
See
https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=319
http://arcadiarfs.org.au/bush-fire-survival/2013/3/26/static-water-supplies-sws

>>> But I think there are some issues left:
>>>
>>> # Fire Water wells
>>>
>>> A pipe connected not to a pond but to the groundwater.
>>>
>>> Should be
>>>
>>> water_source=groundwater
>>>
>>> How to tag the water level (distance between water level and ground
>>> level)?
>>>
>>> water_level=6 (in meters) ?
>>>
>>> Also there are water wells which have a water level below approx 8 m
>>> and due to physics there is an additional pump needed. This pump is
>>> integrated in the
>>> water well at water level and is either driven by electricity or
>>> external applied water pressure.
>>
>> Humm water level is usually taken as the height reached by the water,
>> from the bottom of a well/dam/tank.
>> If you are sucking then you might get to the bottom .. so you would
>> need equipment to get to the very base of the water.
>> Must be a better term for this parameter? You want the dimension from
>> the pump point to the minimum (most distant height) water level.
>
> You are right. I mean the distance between the ground level and the
> water level. E.g. the water is 3 m below ground.
I think the water level will drop as large amounts of water are drawn
off, so you may need the distance from ground level to the bottom of the
water source.
> Does anybody have a better idea then water_level?
Not yet. Let me think on it?

> Background is: the lower the vertical distance between water level and
> pump the easier it is to suck the water to the pump. Depending on the
> pump and hoses (small airgaps at the hose connections etc) it can be
> difficult to get water from vert. distances > 6/7m.
>
> For firefighters this information is important, because if they have
> more then one well to choose from they can use the one with the
> smaller vert. distance.
Usually they will use the closest one, until it runs out.