[Tagging] Emergency shelters

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Thu Sep 7 20:46:13 UTC 2017

On 09/07/2017 04:08 AM, Nick Hocking wrote:
> The list of emergency centers would be very much dependent on where
> the threat is and what the nature of the threat is.

As a former emergency management planner I'll go on the record as
saying... kinda.  Generally speaking, most emergency plans (and, by
extension, emergency resources) are considered all-hazards in nature.

> Therefore I see these as being loaded (by the relevant authorities)
> only when a state of emergency is declared and only for the areas
> affected.

Emergency managers generally make this information publicly available
well in advance of any emergency so people can make proper plans to
get to their shelter or to obtain emergency resources.  There really
isn't time to start making declarations, uploading data, and hoping
people will be able to get rendered data when a tsunami or tornado is
on the way.

> These locations would therefore be available (on OSM) online,
> immediately, and available for download shortly after. Since the
> areas are relatively small the downloads would not be a big issue.

Define "small".  Right now you have Hurricane Irma taking aim at the
states of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.  This
is not including the surrounding states that would also be taking in
evacuees.  This storm, larger than the state of Ohio, is going to do
some damage on a very large swath of land (and already has to quite a
few islands!).

> Once the state of emergency is rescinded, the data could be
> deleted.

Why would you delete data that is still valid and useful?  Shelters
take months to identify, work up agreements with building owners and
who will actually manage the shelter, determine how to supply the
shelter with supplies, how to staff the shelter, and many other
things.  One doesn't just show up to a building and declare it a
shelter nor does one just remove a shelter from a list after a
disaster (unless it's been shown to have been ineffective).  These are
well thought out, planned for, and exercised resources.

> Since these tags would only be used by the authorities, I believe
> that they should be unique to them.

I don't even understand this statement.

I'm a proponent of putting emergency information onto the map so
people have this information with them at all times.  No matter where
in the world you are you should be able to obtain information about
finding shelter, evacuation routes, water, supplies, and information.
 Some of this information will be dynamic but much of this information
is permanent.  The dynamic resources will be made available via
permanent information resources so documenting those will help fill
the gaps.

- --Eric