[Tagging] Access by permit

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Sep 21 17:58:07 UTC 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:25:16 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> > >it depends what "permit" actually means:
> >
> > I don't see that as having any bearing on the present proposal. The
> > tag means only that a permit is required to access the object.
> >
> > Whether such an instrument is difficult to get, must be paid for,
> > must be adjudicated before some governing body, or whether one has
> > to jump up and down 3 times, is IMHO irrelevant. Moreover, whether
> > such a permit takes the physical form of a document, a sticker, or
> > a plastic embossed card, is also irrelevant.
> >
> > It merely means something special must be done before access is
> > granted. Subsidiary tags can flesh out the details of how it is
> > obtained, whether there's a fee involved, etc.
> >

> Maybe defining better at which cases you are aiming, could raise
> support for the permit tag. I agree that some cases of "permits" are
> better tagged as "private" because it is essentially the same
> situation, while others are not well described with "private",
> because you can easily get a permit and use the way as if it hadn't a
> restriction. Is "do something special" involving a lot of time and or
> money to obtain, or can only some people with special requisites
> apply (e.g. tribal, religious or professional exceptions)? It might
> all be called "permit", but the effective situation is very different.

The way I see the distinction:

* access=yes: there is a statutory right or similar guarantee of access
* access=permissive: blanket permission to access has been granted in
  advance, but it can be revoked at the whim of the owner/operator
* access=permit: permission must be asked for in advance, but it is
  routinely granted provided that the asker meets any relevant
  criteria.  The owner/operator generally has little or no discretion in
  deciding to grant or refuse permission.
* access=private: permission must be asked for in advance, and the
  owner/operator can grant or refuse for any reason
* access=no: don't bother asking, permission will not be granted.

Local examples of the above:

* access=yes: Interstate 90 (statutory right); the easement providing
  access to Mica Peak Conservation Area across private
  property (contractual right).
* access=permissive: the geocache on the Dodd House property.
* access=permit: the Inland Empire Paper Company forests surrounding
  Mount Spokane (in the summer, anyone who's purchased an IEP access
  permit; in the winter, anyone with a Mount Spokane ski pass).
* access=private: East Rockford Lane (a gated road in a private
  residential area)
* access=no: Fairchild Air Force Base's pumping station on the Spokane
  River.

--
Mark